In addition to the federal hemp laws laid out in the 2018 Farm Bill, each state has its own state hemp laws. Before we dive in on Washington DC Hemp Laws and the legality of CBD in Washington DC, it is important to understand the different types of hemp and CBD products that these laws may be applied to.
There are many (somewhat confusing) terms for hemp oil:
- Isolate or THC-Free Hemp Oil has only CBD and all other plant compounds have been removed, THC is undetectable. Pure CBD Isolate can also be purchased in powder form.
- Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil has all plant compounds, including less than 0.3% THC.
- Broad-Spectrum Hemp Oil has undetectable THC, but contains other plant compounds.
- PCR (Phytocannabinoid-Rich) Hemp Oil with Zero-THC is a new marketing term for broad-spectrum hemp oil.
- CBG Hemp Oil is a hemp oil from a cannabigerol (CBG) rich hemp strain that has more CBG than is found in CBD Hemp Oil.
- Hemp Flower is the dried and harvested flower of the hemp plant. It can be used whole or extracted to make CBD isolate, Full-Spectrum CBD, or Broad-Spectrum CBD (PCR Hemp Oil).
FAQ: Hemp and CBD Legality in Washington DC
Is Full Spectrum CBD Legal in Washington DC?
That is a trick question because full-spectrum CBD is not the same as the so-called PCR Hemp Oil! This new marketing term is certainly introducing even more confusion around CBD products.
Washington DC does not currently have hemp or CBD laws to regulate retail CBD sales and products. The state has not explicitly prohibited any CBD products from the market as long as they have less than 0.3% delta-9-THC.
Is It Legal to Ship PCR Hemp Oil to Washington DC?
It is legal to ship ALL types of hemp products with less than 0.3% THC to all US States according to the 2018 Farm Bill.
Where to Buy Full Spectrum CBD Oil in Washington DC?
If you are looking to buy CBD in Washington DC, you can do so in stores or online.
Do you need a special license to purchase PCR Hemp Oil in Washington DC?
You don’t need a special license to purchase CBD hemp oil (all types) in Washington DC, only to grow, test, or sell products.
CBD Laws in Washington DC
Washington DC does not currently have any laws or regulations for hemp or CBD. Their lawmakers have taken the stance of urging the FDA to regulate CBD as it is that agencies responsibility. The FDA has been procrastinating CBD regulation for more than three years now. They are expected to take actions towards the end of 2020, but have long neglected their duty of regulating products and protecting consumers in the CBD industry.